Check out Autocade's Drivetribe, the Global Motorshow

EMW

From Autocade

Jump to: navigation, search

Brand name for products from the Automobilwerk Eisenach of East Germany from 1952 to 1955. The cars were descended from prewar BMW designs, and been branded BMW from 1949 to 1951, without the permission of the West German company. When the works were transferred from Soviet ownership to that of the East German government, BMW AG was able to prevent its trade marks from being used. EMW (for Eisenacher Motorenwerk) was created as its new name, producing BMW-derived designs till 1955. In 1954, the company had been renamed VEB Automobilwerk Eisenach (AWE), and released cars under the Wartburg brand name.






comments powered by Disqus