Follow Autocade on Facebook Check out Autocade's Drivetribe, the Global Motorshow

BMW 340

From Autocade

Jump to: navigation, search

BMW 340.jpg

BMW 340. 1949–52 (prod. 21,250 incl. EMW 340). 4-door saloon, 5-door estate. F/R, 1971 cm³ (I6 OHV). Reworked version of prewar BMW 326, but styling updated to reflect postwar trends. First BMW after World War II. Improvements included external boot lid and a new carburettor, raising output to 43 kW. Made by Automobilwerk Eisenach under Soviet control, without the sanction of BMW AG in München, which was barred from making cars initially, both due to Allied regulations and the destruction of its factory. Large relative to other cars at the time. Sold on both sides of the Iron Curtain, but name changed to EMW 340 when the works passed to East German government control and BMW successfully prevented the use of its name.


Manufacturing location: Eisenach, East Germany

Marque: BMW | Predecessor: BMW 326 | Successor: EMW 340





comments powered by Disqus